Before Intravenous Anesthesia
Please follow these instructions to prepare for oral surgery with IV anesthesia.
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for 6 hours prior to the appointment.
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany you to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive you home afterward.
- You should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes that do not easily slip off your feet.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, upset stomach or bowels, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, you should take your normal medications with a small sip of water. Please check with Dr. Burns prior to your surgical date if you have any questions.